Fresh out of college in 2007 I saw Argentina’s Patagonia for the first time. I had hoped I would find work as an Instructor at Catederal, (Argentina’s largest ski area), so I would be able to plug into the community like I had done on previous adventures. However, I soon found that competition was fierce, and the Spanglish I so proudly spoke was simply not going to be good enough. In fear of impending starvation I decided it would be best to leave Bariloche for my home back in Idaho, but it snowed… I ended up exchanging every penny I had for pasos. Exploring new levels of resourcefulness, I managed to spend one of the best winters of my life, living, laughing, and learning. “The Heart of Patagonia”, is something that must be experienced to understand, it beats differently for everyone, but once you feel it it’ll be with you forever.
We start and finish this adventure in the cosmopolitan mountain town of Bariloche in the center of the 7 lakes region of Argentina. In this adventure we’ll explore 3 unique ski resorts, Cerro Catedral, Cerro Bayo, and Cerro Chapelco and we’ll stay in two very different mountain towns. If the conditions are right we’ll spend our final day on snow accessing some of the prettiest mountains in the world by way of snowmobiles and side by side expedition vehicles.
This session is open to advanced to expert snowboarders and skiers. If you can confidently make smooth turns on a black groomed run and you’re wanting to learn new skills to access the whole mountain, we’ve got you covered. If you’re an expert and you’re hoping to ride the most extreme lines in Patagonia, nail some tricks, and push your personal best, we’ll be by your side. This session is limited to 7 participants so book soon as this one will fill up fast. This session has a minimum participation of 4 persons to operate, if minimum participation is not met within 30 days of travel you will receive a full refund.
- Transportation from the Start, We pick you up at the Bariloche Airport and we take you back when the session is over.
- Lodging August 23rd – 30th, 7 nights of lodging, in three star or better accommodation. Standard is 2 people share a room (If you are traveling with a friend you can request to share the same room, you can upgrade to a private room for an additional fee)
- Guiding, 6 full days of professional guiding/tips in a group setting by a level 3 certified coach with more than 10 years’ experience. We keep our groups small (maximum 1 coach per 4 campers) this means small groups and more personalized instruction.
- Lift Tickets at all locations
- All Breakfast, Breakfast will be offered at our accommodation daily.
- All Dinners, Group dinners will be hosted daily.
- Pre-Session prep meeting, 1 on 1 with JTB via Zoom
- Bilingual communication
- Backcountry Snowmobile Accessed Riding
- Edited photos and video
- Scheduled cultural activities
- Session gift bag
- Certificate of completion
- International Flight
- Lunch on the mountain
- Adult Beverages, although some may be supplied in general you’ll buy your own beers.
- Medical care, we’ll do our best to get you whatever help you need but you’ll be on your own to settle the bill.
- Snowboard gear, you’ll need to bring your own setup, there are stores but snowboard gear is exceptionally expensive in South America, so we highly recommend you bring your own stuff
- Staff Gratuities, tipping is never expected but always appreciated.
- Transportation outside of the schedule.
Day 1, Sunday, Arrival Day
We’ll meet you at the Bariloche Airport then we’ll head to our hotel, we’ll check out our gear, review the plan, all while enjoying a big welcome dinner together.
Day 2, Monday, Ride Cerro Catedral
We’ll kick off the adventure at Argentina’s largest ski resort Catederal Alta Patagonia. This behemoth would take a whole season to fully explore, but lucky for you your guides know it well. We’ll spend our day on snow warming up our legs and getting accustomed to the special kind of terrain found in Argentina’s Patagonia. After a full day on the slopes we’ll head back to Bariloche for a nice dinner in the heart of the small city.
Day 3, Tuesday, Ride Cerro Bayo,
After a hearty breakfast we’re off to Cerro Bayo, this boutique ski area is refined South America at it’s best. We’ll spend the day exploring Cerro Bayo’s approachable glades and bowls while dialing in our own skills so we’re ready for the adventure ahead. After a full day on the slopes we’ll hit the road for San Martin de Los Andes, an upscale mountain town nestled between the lakes of Patagonia and the high peaks of the Andes.
Day 4 and 5, Wed – Thurs, Ride Chapelco
We’ll spend 2 full days riding Cerro Chapelco, voted Argentina’s best resort by “World Ski Awards” 4 times over. Chapelco hosts a wide variety of glades, steeps, bowls, and cruisers, to keep us entertained for days! In the evening we’ll head to San Martin de Los Andes, this swiss inspired gateway to the mountains is home to shops, upscale dining, and a variety of cultural activities. On Thursday we’ll leave the mountain a little early to give our legs a rest and enjoy the scenic drive back to Bariloche.
Day 6, Friday, Ride Cerro Catedral
Catedral is so amazing we had to add a second day, afterwards we’ll head back to Bariloche for a relatively early dinner and a relaxing evening.
Day 7, Saturday, Backcountry Adventure
If the conditions are right were going into the backcountry via snowcat or snowmobile, far away from the resorts and into the wilderness. Afterwards we’ll head back to Bariloche to celebrate the final day of our incredible adventure.
Day 8, Sunday, Departure Day
After a nice group breakfast we’ll head to the airport for a journey back home with new memories, new friends, and a great goggle tan.