“Ring of Fire” takes place deep in the active volcanic region of Chilean Patagonia, where it’s possible to ride amazing terrain and find a new appreciation for planet’s beating heart. In this session we’ll focus on developing the necessary skills to promote safe decision making in consequential terrain. We’ll explore the nooks, crannies, and “hike-to” opportunities of two very alive volcanos. We’ll get friendly with some essential backcountry gear and learn to work as a group when navigating the path less traveled.
We’ll start and end our journey in the coastal city of Concepcion, Chile’s second largest metropolitan area. From the city we’ll travel far off the beaten path to our first destination Corralco located in the heart of the Malalcahuello National Reserve. We’ll spend two full days exploring the best lines this ski area has to offer, and if the conditions are right, we’ll venture beyond the ski area boundary to explore the vast contours of the Longuimay Volcano. From Corralco we’ll take a rest day and venture north to “Volcan Chillan”. Nevados De Chillan is one of the larger ski areas in the Southern hemisphere, renowned for hosting the best snow in Chile and giving spectators a rise the volcano “pulses”. We’ll spend our days navigating the area’s vast terrain in and out of bounds, and if it’s running, we’ll hop a ride on Snow Cat for some diesel-powered turns beyond the lifts. We’ll spend our evenings at our slope side lodge, soaking in the onsite hot springs and taking in the view. Once we’ve had our fill of snow-capped volcanoes, we’ll wrap up the Session by spending two nights and one full day exploring the city where our journey began, we’ll feast on the fresh seafood, take a peek at the South Pacific, and maybe even do a little dancing.
“Ring of Fire” is the latter of two Session we have planned for Chile 2022, the first “Steeps with Style” takes place in the Northern Andes accessed from Santiago, this session focuses on freeride progression, developing necessary skills to push your personal riding off the groomed and beyond. Pair both Sessions together for one massive freeride adventure.
Participation will be capped at 8 campers. This is an advanced free ride tour participants must be able to safely navigate black ungroomed terrain. This session has a minimum participation of 4 persons to operate, if minimum participation is not met within 30 days of travel you will receive a full refund, or you can elect to convert your reservation to a private or semi private session.
Book 4 or more persons on the same reservation and receive a 5% discount.
- Airport transfer on arrival and departure days, and all transportation within the scheduled Itinerary. If you require any ground transportation outside of the scheduled itinerary it will be your responsibility to pay the bill
- 8 nights Lodging, dual occupancy hotel and lodge style accommodation (if traveling with friend you can request to share a room, if you prefer a private room one can be purchased at an additional charge)
- Coaching, five full days of guidance in a group setting (1 coach per 4 campers) this means small groups and more personalized instruction
- Pre-camp goal setting session with JTB via Zoom
- Lift Tickets, at all locations
- Communication, Chileans speak Spanish and so do members of our team, so rest assured we’ll make sure you are heard
- Breakfast and Group Dinners
- Off hill activities and education
- Snow Cat Excursion (if available)
- Branded Gift Bag
- Certificate of completion
- International Flight
- Lunch on the mountain
- Adult Beverages, although some may be supplied in general you’ll buy your own beers.
- Medical care, we’ll do our best to get you whatever help you need but you’ll be on your own to settle the bill.
- Snowboard gear, you’ll need to bring your own setup, there are stores but snowboard gear is exceptionally expensive in South America, so we highly recommend you bring your own stuff
- Backcountry Gear Rental, beacon, probe, and shovel may be needed in this session, rentals will be available, splitboards will not be necessary. If needed we will rent snowshoes.
- Staff Gratuities, tipping is never expected but always appreciated.
- Transportation outside of the schedule.
Day 1, Sunday, Arrival Day
Arrive at CCP Airport by 10am, once the whole team’s together we’re off to Malalcahuello the town at the entrance of the Malalcahuello National Reserve that we’ll be calling home for the next three nights. We’ll get moved in, get our gear ready, and have a nice dinner with plenty of time to discuss the week ahead.
Day 2 and 3, Ride Corralco,
Explore Corralco. We’ll kick each day off with a hearty breakfast at our hotel, followed by a short 15min drive to the base of the mountain. We’ll learn a little about backcountry and the wilderness we are in. We’ll focus on exploration and finding the best lines available. If conditions permit we may even venture beyond the ski area boundary for some backcountry turns. We’ll spend our evenings soaking up the local culture and enjoying the town of Malalcahuello.
Day 4, Corralco to Nevados De Chillan
We’ll start our day with a leisurely breakfast before checking out of our hotel and hitting the road. NDC is about a 6hr drive from Malalcahuello, this will be a great opportunity to give your legs a needed break. We’ll take our time getting to NDC, we’ll have a few options for cultural stops, however our goal will be to get to NDC by sunset, where we’ll check into our slopeside accommodation, get settled in and have a nice dinner.
Day 5 and 6, Ride Nevados De Chillan
Nevados De Chillan (NDC) is huge, and if everything is open it takes time to truly explore this dynamic resort. The terrain at NDC also offers opportunities for challenge, steep bowls, forested gullies, and extensive lift accessible backcountry. If we haven’t already, we will get acquainted with some avalanche safety gear, and if conditions permit we’ll take a cat ride above the lifts for some diesel powered turns. We’ll spend our evenings soaking in the onsite hot springs, and checking out the nearby town of Valle Las Trancas.
Day 7, Nevados De Chillan to Concepcion, Fiesta!
We’ll ride till 1pm getting any last shots for the instagram and ticking any boxes we still have on the list, Then we are off to Concepcion about a 4hr drive from NDC. We’ll get a late lunch in Las Trancas, then onto our nice hotel. Once we’re all settled into our rooms we’ll get the band together for a feast and a celebration in the bustling City of Concepcion.
Day 8, Explore Concepcion
We’ll spend the day as cosmopolitan Chileans do, eating good food, drinking vino, and looking fancy. We’ll start the day with a Sunday Brunch, afterwards we’ll hit the road to Caleta Lenga for a nice walk on the beach and some fresh seafood, and if the weather is fair we may walk all the way out to Ramuncho. In the evening we’ll check out the sights and sounds of Concepcion.
This is also an optional departure day… Most flights leave Concepcion for the USA in the afternoon so you can skip the beach and head home if you like.
Day 9, Concepcion, Departure Day
We’ll spend this day focusing on preparing our bodies and our minds for the long journey home. This will also be a good day to pick up any last souvenirs for friends and family. Most flights for the USA depart in the afternoon so we’ll all leave the hotel together for the airport, and a final toast to an amazing adventure.